Thursday, June 11, 2009

Details

My friend and I spent last night looking through our old blog archives. I had mentioned I had been blogging since sophomore year of high school and this blog was my post college blog after spending years on Facebook. I lost my high school blogs, but I still had stuff from freshman year of college I looked through with my friend. The difference between me back then and me now is almost night and day and it's been great to see the amount of both personal maturity and spiritual growth (or maybe more so spiritual awareness because of the stuff I had started discovering out there) that happened between the beginning of college and all the way up until it's conclusion.

I've written stuff (and written in certain styles) I don't agree with (I've cooled down to say the least, though it's good to have a private place to "scratch write" without inhibition) but it's still cool and interesting to see what's changed and what still runs as a common theme.

Which entries were the ones that most stood out? Not the ones that had a great big outburst of any sort or the ones that had any composition of my own (I would be a terrible professional writer by the way, I looked at a poem and cringed!) but the ones that mention some sort of detail, a red dress, a pine smell, or a verbatim quote that I had forgotten about even though I remember the events themselves.

As I study the Ignatian literature I've been reading lately, I'm realizing there's no use in simply summarizing events if what most captures us is their details. So I'm going to try to pay closer attention to those.

No comments:

Post a Comment