Thursday, September 17, 2009

Space and Stars

I'm gathering material/research for this post that's going to take a while to write (nothing big, just something I thought would be fun) so it may take a while to post again.

We finally moved out of my house of 9 years. It's incredible to think I spent all of my early adolescence to my early young adulthood there. I don't have time to start missing it because my main worry now is that the house buyer might back out from the deal, which might face us with not just losing the sale, but also losing the house since an empty house can't generate the [rent] income to pay mortgage.

Right now I've been reading through sections of Jesuit Br. Guy Consolmagno's Brother Astronomer:The Adventures of a Vatican Scientist. I like how he says that theology is in fact the first science and how it calls us to embrace the natural sciences (since through these natural sciences we come to know creation, and in turn, God), maintaining a balance that avoids the bad science of fundamentalist biblical literalism on one side (6,000 year old earth, etc.) and atheist scientific materialism on the other end.

I thought his tone toward atheists seemed a little smug/sure of himself though (I've been guilty of it myself before, but I understand them better now). I do believe Aquinas' proofs strongly prove or at least strongly support a first mover: if you stand in a circle of people and are told to tap the person next to you, but only if someone tapped you first--there'd have to be an initial "untapped tapper", in a notable example Fr. Jim Martin says a nun professor of his did in My Life with the Saints. However, how do we know this first mover and uncaused first cause is the Catholic "version" of God? The complexity of the universe gives credit to the mover being intelligent, but what about the mover being omni-benevolent and personally invested in (i.e. loving of?) each and every being and able to intervene in their life?

That's a lot to answer in one post, but all the talk of space and stars and hard situations here on earth can fill anyone with questions like that.

2 comments:

  1. did you get a chance to see brother guy when he came to marist for the symposium on evolution, faith, and co-creation our sophomore year? he's a neat guy! glad you're blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nicki, thanks for the comment. Unfortunately I didn't see him, but it's pretty awesome to know he came to Marist. Hope Trinidad is treating you well! :)

    ReplyDelete