Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Getting Back on My Feet and Parents Who Keep Their Kids Forever

Right now I'm kind of bummed I was too late to apply for a TA job at my high school. I'm blessed to have parents who don't mind me living with them until I can get up on my feet. Then of course, it's probably the nature of Hispanic, Asian, Italian and other ethnic families to not really expect you to move out until you're married (or dead). As much as American society (including myself) values individualism, I appreciate the "looking out for each other" values of cultures that are a little bit more collectivistic.

For example, I just went out for a walk to get a cheese bread (thank you Colombians) and bumped into an old friend of the family (he's practically an uncle to my brothers and me) who gave me $50 and ran...rofl. It helps when you only have $2 in your pocket.

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing all I can to get back up on my feet (I only graduated college last May and have been mailing out resumes and making calls like crazy), but this system we live in works in a way that I have to owe a huge amount of money in order to make money. If I go for a Masters full time, I can start working sooner, but how can I pay for the Masters and my living expenses if I probably won't be able to work at all (or at least not for the amount I'd need to survive) while going to school? More gratuitous amounts of loan money? It's a wakeup call to the fact people don't really "move out" from home when they go to college, but really just go away to a temporary summer camp like setting.

I took college seriously and did moderately well academically, but my failure was in not accurately planning an "exit strategy." In my defense, a Psychology degree won't get you far unless you're at the Masters level (at minimum), but it was all the more reason to plan sooner.

I'm not freaking out too much, because I'm getting closer to the belief that things slowly fall into place (not totally there yet, but if I can run into an old uncle and $50 on the street, then who's to say what else could be in store?).

No comments:

Post a Comment